Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Little Consideration...


So many times we get wrapped up in figuring everything out in our lives for the benefit of ourselves. We may be nice people, but secretly we don't spend near enough time thinking about, praying for or serving others. I came across this realization tonight when scrolling through quotes in my photo album, and thought to myself "Eeyore was on to something" when reading the quote "a little consideration, a little thought for others makes all the difference." I myself am guilty of being self centered. Quietly self centered, but self centered all the same. I don't make a big deal out of talking about everything I want to do, but I know that, in my mind, I am constantly scrolling through my anxieties about how I'm going to accomplish everything I dream to do. It is good to have goals, but sometimes I get so passionate and focused on one thing that I lose sight of what I need to be doing to honor God. I'm writing this trusting that I surely can't be the only person who does this...right?

Do you ever come across people who just seem so selfless? Like they really don't appear to put themselves first. I think, well props to them but how do they do it! For a while I might be paying close attention to people and helping them out, but when it comes down to it, the majority of my time is spent benefiting me. Even when praying, I notice a lot of "please help mes" in my talks with God. Although we need to acknowledge that we need help from God, we also have to remember that it is not only us in this world. That is so hard sometimes. It truly is. CS Lewis was right when he said Christianity is not a religion meant for feeling comfortable. It isn't naturally comfortable to go out of your way for others, but once you do it, don't you feel good? Even when it seems tough to make time for others, it pays off in it's own ways- by glorifying God through service and there's something in there for us as well- that good feeling. There's a reason we feel good when we do things because they are the right things to do. Integrity comes with a more positive outlook and even strengthens your relationship with God, and, if done right, strengthens those who you are serving's relationship with Him. Being selfless is definitely something I need to work on, and read about what God has to say regarding service and try to put it in to action. We may not be perfect, but just "a little consideration, a little thought for others" really does make a big difference, one we may not be able to see yet but will someday understand why.

No comments:

Post a Comment